Monday, June 9, 2008

Settling In

So I've officially been in Managua for 24 hours. I love it so far. The city is really dynamic- poverty is rampant but the people are vibrant. Fortunately, everyone here is really friendly and very patient with my Spanish, which is slower than the ultra-rapidly speaking Nicaraguans.
On a sadder note, the earthquake of 1972 has had incredibly far-reaching implications, as significant areas of the metropolitan area still have yet to be rebuilt. However, the house I'm staying in is great- really quaint with all the basic necessities (Thank God for A/C). In general, I'm really excited about my time here in Nicaragua. As I get more free-time, I'll be exploring Managua and hopefully on the weekends long stretches of coast-line and the other cities, such as Leon and Granada. Hasta el proximo tiempo....

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Lucas!! Managua sounds awesome-- are you all alone in the house? What exactly does your internship entail?

TL Morgan said...

Lucas, I am glad you are keeping this blog - I look forward to seeing some pictures and hearing about your experiences. Hope you have an incredible time in Nica. I'm sure you will be fluent by the end of your trip.

-- P. Sullivan

Unknown said...

Lucas, how is Managua? I guess that is already in the blog, but thats just a common greeting. Will you be traveling around managua/ surfing in the carribean?

Unknown said...

This is tram