Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mombaucho Volcano

Today, a group from work went to Mombacho Volcano, about 30 minutes outside Managua. We all met up around 7 am and headed out early to get a good hike in before heading down to the canopy tour zip line. It was a pretty leisurely paced trek, filled with a ton of beautiful views of the crater as well as overviews of both Granada and Managua. It was pretty wild on top of the volcano; it was super windy and, because we were in a cloud, really misty and pretty cold. Fortunately, the views got better as the day wore on and I was able to get some cool photographs. Thus, I’m attaching more photos than usual so you can see all the shots.

After the hike, we hopped back in the preferred mode of transportation at Mombacho: a Russian military truck outfitted with ten rows of seats in the rather large truck bed. We quickly gobbled our packed lunches and then went to the canopy tour. I was really excited, as we had heard how extensive their course was, though also bit nervous due to my left index finger still being bandaged up. My fears were quickly dissipated upon being presented with a glove modified to have an open spot for “handicapped” finger. Up in the canopy, we had a great time zipping from tree to tree for a good hour and a half. I even was able to do the famed “Superman” and upside down positions on two of the legs. Then, on the last leg, we zipped from a tree down to level ground and the guides made you bob up and down by toying with the line. I’ll try to attach a video of me going through this; it was a pretty crazy feeling going up and down so much. In general, the canopy tour was a great experience, but it did make me very sentimental for Jill’s trip to Nicaragua a few weeks back. I have to confess though; she was the only one to do the “superman” during our Tiscapa canopy tour.

We concluded our active day by going to downtown Granada and getting a little dessert at the “ChocolatĂ© CafĂ©.” My chocolate cake and strawberry shake were delicious. Then, we just mingled a bit around the town square, soaking in the sun in Central America’s oldest city. Of course, this also added to the sentimentalism of the day, as Jill and I also did this.

Overall, it was a great day experiencing Mombacho and just living life. Today really made me realize how fortunate I am to have this experience and I had to thank God for providing me with the opportunity. Well, my brother and dad are coming to Nicaragua on Monday; so next week should be a jammed packed adventure. I only have to work a few days, so we should have plenty of time to get some really good surfing in down near San Juan del Sur. I’ll keep the blog updated as much as possible. Until then, things should be relatively quite: church, tennis, and reading are the only items on my agenda tomorrow. Other than that, I’ll just be missing Jill and thinking about how much she’s enjoying lounging on one of Italy’s beaches.

I hope you enjoyed all the photos and found my blog meaty enough to be enticed for more.

Buenas Noches,

Lucas

2 comments:

Jill Turner said...

that video is awesome. realllly cool. we should go to that canopy tour if we ever go back.

Kirk Carter said...

dude, I love Mombaucho. I'm totally considering quitting school and running zip lines there.